Wednesday, February 27

BUMBO (and other short stories)

A friend of mine is having a baby any day now and she and I were at someone else's baby shower recently when we were commenting on all the gifts as they were being opened (because you have to be entertained during that slow motion show somehow!) when my friend mentioned that she wanted to get a 'Bumbo' for her baby. So, I figured out that the Bumbo was the thing that I had been seeing on the baby isle at Target and considering whether or not I wanted to get it. So, I said, "Don't buy one! I'll get it and will be done with it by the time your baby can use it, so I'll pass it on." It's easier to justify the expense knowing that it will be used by two babies (and probably many more! - not mine though.)

So, today I made the Bumbo purchase. I don't know why this thing cracks me up so much! It looks like he is sitting in a puddle of melted mint ice cream (mmm.... ice cream...) or some sort of quick sand or something. It is hilarious. And boy, do the other kids love it! After I had gotten everyone settled for the night, I went to pick up the living room, and there in the Bumbo, someone had put Elmo to hang out for the night!





The best part of all is when I go to take him out of it. I lift him up and his thighs get stuck, so the whole chair comes up with him. He looks like he has got his bottom stuck in a bucket! Love it.


On another note, I am preparing for the trip of the century! Actually, I'm just going to California for the weekend, but with all the leaps and bounds it is taking to get there, it feels like the trip of the century.

My sister and brother-in-law are getting married in San Diego on Saturday (congratulations, Andrea and John!), and I am dumping kids on a couple families and heading out to the West Coast A.L.O.N.E!!! Geoff is flying there for the weekend instead of home, so that we can both be there and have a bit of a vacation for just the two of us. I am so dang excited! Other than the occasional date once a quarter or so, we have not had a weekend like this for SIX YEARS! I'm not complaining. Six years have flown by, but I'm just saying... I've taken trips alone, and he's always on a trip :-) somewhere, but never together! Woo-hoo!

So, I'm packing up and doing extra laundry and such to get ready. I can't thank my friends enough for taking all the kids. I will owe them big time. It's a huge deal to keep someone else's six month old baby for a weekend! (You rock, Kelly!)

What else is going on?

Oh, Logan split his lip open this evening while playing basketball on the driveway. It's not very bad at all, and luckily when he came into the "infirmary", dinner was ready, so that distracted him. Then he said it was going to be fun telling everyone about it at school tomorrow. I love that guy!

On yet another note: I got crazy this afternoon and offered to have two friends kids over while they passed out cookie dough for the school fundraiser (I felt sympathy for them, having myself been the PTA Queen in the past). So, although the children were perfect, I got a glimpse of what 3-year-old triplets might be like and then thanked heaven that we got all our kids one at a time.

That's my update. I'll check back in after my whirlwind vacation!

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Tee! I actually bought a Bumbo today at Target. After you mentioned yesterday that you wanted one, I thought I'd get it and surprise you and he could use it while he was here this weekend. "Sisters!"

I didn't even think about it being a weekend getaway for you and Geoff. I was just thinking about the wedding. That is cool!

Lauren in GA said...

Romance is in the air...ohh, la la time away with your husband...


I love the way you write! It makes me miss you so much when you pause and say things like, "mmmm.... ice cream...." I love this blogging thing but, it is making me miss you something fierce!

Kelly A. DOES ROCK!!! Seriously!!!! And she bought you a BUMBO...shut up!!! Kelly, please be my best friend...I am low matinence but I do kinda eat a lot...

Kelly said...

That's 3 year old triplets with a 12, 10, 7 and 6 month old too! Yeah, too much.

Jackie said...

Have fun on your trip!

Denise said...

San Diego sounds downright heavenly right now, and on a getaway for two? Perfect! Enjoy!

Lauren in GA said...

Nic!
Your comment on my blog about inspiring my boys to brush their teeth by having them participate in a, "take your son to work day" TOTALLY made me crack up! You know me like no other...

I LOVE you!
Lauren

Melissa said...

It really is true...he does look like he is sitting in mint ice cream!