Sunday, February 17

We had a barn raising today.

One of my favorite movie scenes is in the film Witness with Harrison Ford. He is hiding out in the Amish community to protect his murder witness. During the course of his stay, there is a scene where the entire Amish community spends the day putting up a barn for a newly wedded couple. Litterally, the whole community comes and they put up a barn in one day. Everyone has a job and they just jump in and get it done.
Well, Church for us today lasted all of four minutes and ended with a barn raising. We sat down on "our" pew to listen to the prelude music (Geoff had gone early for a meeting), and soon Samantha had to go to the bathroom. I sent Maren with her. A few minutes later, Maren came back and said "Samy is really sick. She just threw up!" Crap. I asked if she made it in the bathroom. "Nope. It's right over there." She points to the doorway of the chapel. Nice. So, I went over and the barn was being raised.... People all over were cleaning up Samy's half digested oatmeal. I went into the bathroom to find her and a couple other people were helping her wash up. It always impresses me when the whole "community" just diggs in and does a job. It's most impressive when it is at the end of a ward activity and chairs and tables are being cleaned up and put away so fast it looks like they are flying through the air. The motivation being that everyone wants to get home, but today, the motivation was just friends being neighborly. I love it.

Since we've been home, Samy unloaded one more batch of oatmeal on the rug by the back door -- we needed a new one anyway -- and has dry-heaved quite a few times since. Poor little baby. I will say that she has been a champ about getting every drop into the purple 'throw-up bowl', though.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

More throwing up! Well now that makes perfect sense because the weekend is almost over and you are back to single mom. It's all in the timing. I hope Sammy is the tail end and not the beginning of the second round.

What a great little ward. I would have faked like I didn't noticed and walked right on by. Sorry, Sammy's cute and all, but sorry.

nic said...

Want to know who one of the biggest helpers was? Jason B. He really has his moments!

Lauren in GA said...

I loved the analogy you used! It is so true about the barn raising. After the, "It's Great to be 8" (for Adam) program we had a brunch. Brian spilled his orange juice...I went to get the mop and by the time I had returned 4 sisters had the whole spill cleaned up off of the gymnasium floor.

You made me laugh out loud when I read, "I asked if she made it to the bathroom? Nope. It's right over there." Poor Samy. I love the picture of that sweet little girl with her big bowl beside her. Awwwww.

Denise said...

Oh NO! Of all the places to lose your lunch! I have to say, though, you must have a great ward. I hope your little sweetie is feeling better soon.

Oh, and I also love when everyone pitches in after an activity. Get it done, get home, everyone's happy.

Amanda D said...

Oh... I hope she feels better soon. I also hope no one else gets sick. =(