Tuesday, February 12

We do nothing...

... but I am so stinking busy, I can't stand it. The best part of all is that a good portion of my day is spent at home. And what am I doing all day at home? Yep, Laundry. Okay, okay, there is a good chunk of that time spent on the phone with various girlfriends, but thanks to portable phones, it can all be done at the same time! (I love the miracle that is the 21st century -- or are we in the 22nd now?)

So, I've been wanting badly to journal/blog, but haven't had the time to really sit down and get it done. I've been making a list of things to write about, so I will post a couple things now -- just kind of random thoughts....

Jackie sent me this picture, to help me through my grief with the whole Mitt debacle, and with her permission (she is hilarious, by the way, check her out!) I am posting it because I think no one says it better than Jimbo does here:

That just tickled me!

So, moving on (I have no good segue): For months -- possibly a year -- Eric has been hounding us to get him a cell phone. We've denied because it just wasn't necessary. Well, now the three school-aged kids are in school programs (Magnet-type schools) that take them on the bus to the next town which is a solid 30 minute drive from home. Along with that, they have started to participate in academic decathlon, Destination Imagination, the drama club (?!), and other things that keep them after school some days. I now feel like I want them to have some way of contact/communication with me when they are away from home like that. There will also be Scout hikes and camp outs and other reasons to make a very good case for finally getting a cell phone for the kids.

SO, I go to Target and get a $14.99 phone that you add minutes on from a card that you buy (you know what I'm talking about), and set it all up for the boys. I introduced it to them on Saturday as our 'Family phone' so that no one child gets ownership of it and it can be used by whoever is in need of it for a particular day. No one was really thrilled about having a phone (I interrupted prime Gameboy DS time). I thought I was going to be praised high and low for this, but I got nothing. I think the glitch was that it wasn't for anyone in particular and we can't program the ringer to play "Rock Star" by Nickleback. Well excuuuuuse me!

Here's the kicker: Eric missed school on Monday because he blew chunks on Sunday night about 11 pm. So he said on Tuesday morning that he was either going to morning or afternoon tutoring to make up what he missed. If he went to morning, it would only be for about 20 minutes before school starts so he would have to go for two or three days. Whereas if he went after school, he could get it all done in one day. So, I said; "Do you want to take the cell phone and if you decide to stay after school you can call me to tell me you are not on the bus and I need to pick you up?"

He said, "Nah, I'll just go in for the next two or three mornings."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Remember this is the guy who has been nagging for a phone for all this time. Crazy. So, there sits our new phone. All charged up and nowhere to go.

5 comments:

Denise said...

Seriously, right? They beg and beg, and you finally give in and surprise them with the One True Item, and you're all geared up for screams and hugs and endless thanks, you're already halfway up on your pedestal, and...nothing. So frustrating!

Oh well, at least you have the phone now. We have an extra one that we send with the kid who needs it most, too. I feel better knowing they have it, even if they're only using it to play Tetris during a boring mutual activity.

Kelly said...

We have the same issue with Wells' phone. What is up with these guys.

But we could totally use this "not cool if the mom introduces it" thing to our advantage. "Eric, I want you to take this loose and wild girl out, and stay out very, very late."

Lauren in GA said...

I thorougly enjoyed every word of this post!!!!!! You never dissapoint, daaaahhhhhhling!


I am loving that sign on, as you put it, "Jimbo's" garage!


I am sorry you weren't praised about the phone! I think it was definately praiseworthy! That poor little phone sounds like me...all charged up and nowhere to go.

Jackie said...

Ditto the uncharged phone with the 12 year old....

I think Kelly needs that phone until the 16th..

Barb said...

We have my old cell phone for the kids to share, but I think that a prepaid phone is the way to go for kids.