Sunday, July 13

Should I be offended... again?!

Recently, there have been a rash of home break ins in our neighborhood. There have been muggings by the mail box (we have community mail boxes, not one in front of each house), where a person will get pushed into the thugs car and taken to an ATM to empty their account. Another tactic is for the thugs to pull their car up to a house in the middle of the day and kick in the door and grab all they can. Then there are plenty of car break ins and the usual stuff.


My theory on this has been that these homes, specifically the middle of the day break-ins, are targeted. I think the thugs know who is home or gone during the day and what it is that they are going into the house to get. I've always felt fairly secure because I don't usually have a set schedule where I am gone for an exact period of time day after day. It's pretty random around here -- especially in the summer. But I still set my house alarm and take all precautions just in case.

So, last night upon arriving home, we realized that we are total rejects.

Apparently, this family can leave the house at 3 pm, be gone until after 10 pm, leave the front door wide open and not a thug in sight saw fit to take a dang thing!

When we got home, Eric noticed the door open so we sent Geoff in to secure the area. Then I realized that two things would immediately clue me in on whether anyone had broken into our house. The flat screen TV in my bedroom, and the computer in the study. Untouched! Not even the dust was unsettled.

So, there you go. We don't even have anything good enough to give away to crooks!

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Hilarious! Those poor crooks would have been so disappointed if they had walked in, they might have even left you something instead of taken what you do have!

Now I want to know what the AC bill is going to be this month with the door open that whole time. And mosquitos and the neighbor's cat! I would be way more ticked about those things than if thugs had swooped in and taken the silverware.

Jackie said...

I'm glad you weren't robbed!
Now I have to go unsettle some dust. sigh.

Denise said...

Wow. Muggings at the mailboxes? That's a little freaky.

We left our garage door up once, and some juvies stole dh's wallet and cell phone, and all the cds from my car. Yeah, albums like the London cast recording of Martin Guerre, and The Three Tenors. Things they *totally* wanted and *totally* didn't chuck in the nearest dumpster. Jerks.

I bet they wish they'd gone for your flat screen instead!

Lauren in GA said...

That mugging scenario at the mailboxes is really scary.

I am very happy that nothing was touched...I was nervous as I read this post...

Remember when the Salvation Army refused the striped couch and there was an exact scenario like that on a sitcom that night? Not that I am making fun of you...our couches need to be burned...if we tried to turn them into the Salvation Army I think someone would call Child Protective Services because it is inhumane to make growing children live in such squalor ;)

nic said...

Ah, Lauren, thanks for bringing up such a great memory.

Good times. Good times....

{krista} said...

Oh! My! Goodness!!! Your house is untouchable, I guess, or you are just blessed. I'm sure if mine was ever broken in to, they'd walk in the front door and think they were too late and just leave.

Just freakin scary!

Anonymous said...

"We sent Geoff in to secure the area."

I would have paid money to see that! Seriously, glad that your home was kept safe.