Tuesday, March 4

Back to the grind


So my fabulous trip of the century has come and gone and I am back to my life and laundry. San Diego is beautiful and there absolutely was not enough time to do what I wanted. Most importantly, though, Geoff and I were so happy to be in the temple for Andrea and John's sealing. It was a great event and very good semi-reunion with a number of family members.

Here's a little blow by blow of my weekend: I got into San Diego at about 2 pm. Geoff called to say that he was stuck in LA traffic and about an hour and a half away from me, so I got into a cab and went to the hotel by myself. This was the second cab ride ever in my life. The first was about twelve years ago and I had just gotten off a red-eye flight and was six months pregnant, so I don't really remember it. But this cab ride pretty much cured me of thinking cab rides were neat! First off, (not that I am a math wiz) the sign on the door in regards to pricing, and what he actually charged me did not add up in the slightest. Secondly, the stench in that car -- even with my window down -- was just plain bad. Can you say B.O.? It was bad. Now, the positive thing about a cab ride is that they definitely take the "scenic route", so I got to see some great things that we could do later in the day.

Now I have to note that had I been stuck at the airport with any children, I would have been annoyed, but I didn't have a care in the world at that time. I actually got on an airplane with my purse and a book. That's it! My purse and a book. Ahhhh....

So, I went to the hotel and checked in and laid on the scrumptious bed and ate the complementary crackers and cheese and watched a grown-up show (not adult, just grown-up -- thought I'd clarify.) and waited for Geoff to navigate the Southern California freeways.

After Geoff finally arrived, we decided to head out for dinner. We had a gift card for a fancy, schmancy restaurant and walked over to dine. We got there about five pm and slowly ate each course. Ordered expensive bottles of water (because tap just wouldn't do here!) and talked without being interrupted even once. Finally, dinner was over, and we both just felt exhausted. Seriously, we were about to fall asleep at the table. We looked at the time and it registered 6:18 pm! We are so lame. Even with a time zone adjustment, it still would have only been 8:18 pm for me. This cracked us up good. So we took a nice stroll back to the hotel and fell fast asleep. So much for all the sight seeing and touring I thought I wanted to do!

Since we went to sleep so early, we were wide awake at 4:30 AM! But we weren't alone because little Michael in the room next door was up too and raring to go to Sea World. (Seriously, in a $450 a night hotel, you'd think they could do something about that!)*

*I do have to note here that the hotel (along with the plane fare) was totally paid for with points. That is my big "perk" for being a single parent during the week is that once in a while when the sun and moon align, I get to cash in on all the racked up hotel and air points.*

So, we spent the majority of Saturday at the temple doing a session and at the sealing/wedding. I got to help Andrea get all dressed up pretty, and the ceremony was a great "refresher" of the reasons why we got married so long ago. That was probably the greatest part of the weekend; renewing my friendship with Geoff and remembering that I really do like him.

Sunday morning we got to walk around the Marina and the "Gas lamp" Quarter before heading off to the airport and saying farewell to each other for another week.

On the plane home, it was just me and my purse and another book. I got to watch, and pay attention to, the movie (Becoming Jane, starring Anne Hathaway -- it was decent, but the main gentleman character was the same guy who played the goat/man in Narnia and it was hard for me to get past that), and just relax.

So, thank you to Andrea for getting married so that I had a great reason to have this trip. And most thanks goes to the neighbors for spoiling the girls for the weekend (they had a mini Christmas, I think) and Kelly A. for having my boys and waking up with my baby at 4 am! I missed the kids a tad bit (not really, but you have to say that don't you?), but I had a total peace of mind the entire time that they were safe and happy and very well taken care of. The big boys are already itching for me to take another trip so that they can stay with their "cousins". (Don't worry, Kelly, I have no plans...)

What fun! Now, I'd post a couple pictures here, but someone (Geoff!) made me let him have the camera for the week. Humph!

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Me: Logan, do you miss your sisters?
Logan: Nah.
Me: Do you miss your mom?
Logan: A bit do you have any of that bread left over from dinner. (notice how I didn't punctuate that sentence because it is exactly how it came out.)

The homesick gene runs deep in your family, doesn't it?

Jackie said...

I love San Diego! Did you go to Legoland? Scot and I went on a business related trip to San Diego..I had two choices..a wine tour with other wives..or I could ditch the scheduled agenda & go to Legoland with a lady I met in the hotel lobby that had brought her kids..trust me..I made the right choice..even though they were having rolling blackouts & I took the chance that I would make the National Evening news stranded on a Legoland roller coaster..while my children were home alone(kidding with family).

I'm glad you guys had fun and had some time alone.

Denise said...

Heavenly. Heav. En. Ly. Perfect dream trip. With the exception of the overpriced B.O. cab, of course.

Lauren in GA said...

I am so happy for you and Geoffy Geoff to have some time together and you got to remember that you really like him :)

I laughed at the fact that you couldn't get past the fact that the male lead in the, Becoming Jane movie was in the Narnia, movie. His name was Mr. Tumnus...I think he would appreciate it if you referred to him by his given name not, "goat man".