Tuesday, June 10

Been a long time...

It seems like forever since I've sat down to post. Twilight Camp has been kicking my rear! Camp is from 3 until 8 pm each day this week, and the staff (that's me) are at the camp from about 1:30 until 9 pm. Note the time however (and I've been home for a few hours!). I love Texas summer storms! Actually, camp is very fun and I am very happy to lend my time and (little) talent to it, but today it was 'scrubbed' as the camp director put it (he's a geeky NASA brain-guy).

So, I've been jotting down notes of things that I wanted to post about when I actually could get around to doing it. First, the end of another great school year.

Last week were Logan and Maren's awards ceremonies. They were awesome and got the highest awards one could get in elementary school. Maren was a shoe-in for the citizenship award in her class (she informed us frequently) because she never once, throughout the entire year, had to move her conduct clip from off of the color green. The one award that they didn't get was perfect attendance. That wasn't my fault, I would have had them there every day had it not been for the occasional vomiting and the like. I did take pictures at the awards ceremonies, but we can't find the usb cord for the camera, so those will have to be put on here another day.

There was a talent show a couple days before school ended (why do they cram all this stuff in at the end of the school year? February would be a good time for the talent show.) Maren auditioned and made it. She choreographed a ballet to the song Beauty and the Beast. (And by choreographed, I mean that it was different each and every time she did it.) I video taped it. At least I think I did, because Geoff said he had somehow locked the camera and couldn't get it to record. So I may have just been standing their holding a dead camera throughout her dance, but whatever. Anyway, there's no way I am going to figure out how to put that onto blogger, so just sing the song in your head as you picture an adorable ballerina spinning around a stage.... Maren was beautiful. I thought about it later that night and realized that it took a lot of great self esteem to get up in front of that many people and just go out and dance your little heart out. It was quite dramatic. I am very proud of her and hope that her strong personality and great self esteem will go with her the rest of her life! (Or at least until she has a couple children who beat all sense of self and self esteem out of her...)

Logan and Maren had their end-of-year parties on last Thursday. (Eric was out that day too, but in Junior High, you don't want your mom and her squeaky minivan filled with babies anywhere near you or your school!) I did the usual running between both classes, serving food, talking to teachers, bearing gifts, and avoiding eye contact with Nemesis Ruby -- Someday I'll get to that story, but it's long and I need to build up energy reserves to be able to 'revisit' the whole thing.
I intended to take pictures of Logan and Maren with their friends and teachers and such, but the camera somehow never made it out of my purse. It was in my purse, so that was an improvement!

Now it is officially summer! I have gotten, in my old age, to really like summer. It used to be that I hated having my people 24/7, and dreaded summer approaching, but now, I like being a bit more laid-back and slacking on the schedule. I like spending hours almost every day lazing by the pool. But, yeah, check back with me in mid-July and ask me again.....

I sure wish I had some pictures with this post. Too many words.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Your words are better than any picture. Was it only last week that you went through the end of school crazy? Seems like ages ago. Glad you are updating.

Congrats on coming to the dark side of summer love. I can't believe you just put in writing that you were looking forward to laid back and slacking. This I've gotta see!

Denise said...

Nemesis Ruby has me intrigued. Take your laptop out to the slacking poolside and tell us the story! I'm all for a good beach read.

Lauren in GA said...

I always enjoy the comedic edge in your writing! Mentioning the, "occasional vomiting" as not being your fault in not receiving perfect attendance awards...You are a crack up.

I also enjoyed hearing how the coreography was different every time....and your praise for Maren's self confidence.

Your kids are amazing and you are an amazing mom.

Jackie said...

Man oh Man that twilight camp..the mere thought of it wears me out!

I am eagerly awaiting the scoop on Nemesis Ruby..I have developed a most tragic mental picture of Nemesis Ruby..she sports a red bulbous nose, brought about by years of drinking Grandma Elle's tonic elixir.