Tuesday, June 24

Ahhh, Maren


I adore this girl. I really do. She is beautiful, sweet, outgoing, graceful, and smart as heck.

Seven years ago today the Houston Medical Center was under water because of Tropical Storm Allison at the beginning of the month and now I was in labor. At about midnight on Saturday the 23rd, I called the doctor to figure out where I should go to have my baby. It was time. Geoff was so hoping that the baby would be delivered at the temporary triage center at the Astrodome - he really wanted to say his third child was born on the pitchers mound or home plate.....

Thankfully, to my relief, the doctor sent us to another hospital out of the flooded medical center that they had opened extra floors and wings. We found the hospital (that we didn't even know existed) and a few hours later, we had our first little girl. SEVEN years ago! It blows my mind to think that it has flown by so quickly.

Happy birthday, Maren. I love you more than words can say.

For certain birthdays, the kids get to have a friends party. This was a "friend party" birthday for Maren, so we had a swim party this past Saturday. (Geoff has the camera this week - blast you! - so I will post those pictures later).

So, to celebrate today (the actual birthday), we had a fun-filled day. We missed Eric and Geoff (who are at scout camp - sucks to be you...). There were only two things in the world that Maren wanted to do for her birthday. The first was to go bowling. So, we hauled out to the alley and had a good time (Except for Christian, who was strapped into his stroller the whole time because, come on...)











After bowling, we came home where Maren got to open her present from mom and dad.



Then, we and awesome neighbors went to do the second thing that Maren wanted to do for her birthday. Have dinner at a Mexican restaurant. She doesn't particularly love Mexican food,

but she loves the way they celebrate one's birthday!

(Christian, however, did not love it.)

We finished the great day with Wii at awesome neighbor's house. So fun. I love this girl.....



I'm so glad you're in our family, Maren. Happy 7th Birthday!

6 comments:

Connie said...

Happy birthday Maren!

Denise said...

My daughter just turned seven last month! Her birth story is pretty run-of-the-mill, though, no floods or triage centers. Happy bday Maren!

Lauren in GA said...

Geoff cracks me up...wanting his baby born at home plate...

I loved this whole post. The pictures of everyone's feet at bowling is so cute...it looks artistic to me :) I love Christian's little toes in it. I also love everyone looking at the camera at the bowling alley. Your kids are so gorgeous...and TAN!

Happy Birthday, Maren!

Barb said...

I love the reason to go to a Mexican food restaurant. My (almost) 7 year old would make the same choice, I think.

Jackie said...

Happy Birthday Maren! She is a cutie. I love Mexican restaurants too. Cool Neighbors sound awesome!

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday Maren! (How did I miss commenting on this on the real day?)

I was hoping for the Astrodome birth too. You sure do know how to make your birth's exciting.

By the way, I think you should do a whole post about that flood. Those were some crazy times!