Thursday, May 29

Healthy eating

Okay, seriously. What is the deal with frozen vegetables now days? I went to buy some green beans. Yes, I know a good homemaker would have a garden of her own to pick them from, but whatever. I was saved to live in the year 2008 for good reason. Anyway, went to buy green beans. There were vegetables in butter sauce, cheese sauce, garlic and herb sauce, with potatoes, etc. But no plain old green beans. What the heck!?!
When did we get so lazy that we can't put a dollop of butter on our own corn? Why do we need to "fatten up" broccoli with cheese sauce? (Don't get me wrong, I'm all for fattening up, but come on...) And THEN, we can't even open a bag any more and put it in a sauce pan with a bit of water! We pop that whole bag in the microwave and it steams in there, just like a bag of micro popcorn. Incredible. (Side note: I kind of like these steam in bags, but they are a bit hard to serve from when you don't want to dirty a serving bowl -- I have issues...)

So then, they are trying to market the butter sloshed vegetables to children by putting this on the package.


Okay, maybe it's just me, but my kids are only fooled once before they figure out that there is no Sponge person in that bag, but only the same old broccoli or green beans. Plus, I'm thinking it's pretty rare that they even see the package.

Yes, I've seen this all before, and yes, I know it is handy and convenient and all that, but it was just time I had to talk out the ridiculousness of it all. It has come to this....

By the way, the corn in the butter sauce was very tasty, and supposedly only 100 calories per serving. Whatever.

So now I'm thinking that back in the late 1800's when these things called "tin cans" were invented, was there psycho chicks like me ranting (with a pen and paper by candlelight maybe) about how lazy people are that they can't til the ground themselves to grow their own green beans.....

That's all I have to say about that.

6 comments:

{krista} said...

I love the veggies that come in the steam bag! We buy lots of those. We don't buy the buttered ones becuase my dh has an aversion to butter (or anything else) on his veggies... I know... wierd!

Kelly said...

I accidentally bought a saucy vegetable once, butter maybe? I remember the sauce was in a big frozen cube. It looked too gross for even me.

The characters on the vegetables is hilarious. I don't pay enough attention in the frozen aisle to have ever noticed those. Reminds me of the time you found the edamame with Dora on the front. Multi cultural dining.

Denise said...

Some of the butter sauce ones are good, but I always feel a little guilty when I eat them. Like, the only healthy thing I'm eating, and I drowned it in frozen butter?

There's one mix that has roasted potatoes in it. They are not happy when they are microwaved. They sulk and turn mushy, and it's ugly all around. Dora Schmora. Steer clear of the potato one, even if it has Brad Pitt on the wrapper.

Jackie said...

I've never bought the vegetables with butter..but I Love those Bertoleni(sp) shrimp pasta dishes..They have those sauce disc things..I throw half of them out and figure I've turned it into a Lean Cuisine and eat the whole bag!

I bought fresh green beans a couple of weeks ago..they weren't good...I messed them up..I need the canned kind that just get warmed up..

Lauren in GA said...

Nic, I love you! You are such a riot!!! "with a pen and paper by candlelight maybe"

Only you could make me laugh out loud several times while reading about the current state of frozen veggies in our day and age. I just ♥ you, so much!

"there is no Sponge person in that bag" Bwahhhh! hahhh! hahhh!!

Barb said...

Don't get me started on my prepared foods rant!
Speaking of rants, your comment on the I am Canadian Rant is the funniest I've had in a long time.
God save the Laundry Queen!