Friday, April 25

I am a stay-at-home mom

5:45 - 6:15am Shower and get looking presentable for day
6:15 - 7:00 Make lunches, make breakfast
7:00 scriptures, family prayer
7:15 take first group of people to school
7:25 feed baby breakfast
7:40 send second wave of people to school
7:40 - 8:30 dress Samy in cowgirl gear for Western day at school, respond to last nights emails about Twilight Camp for Cub Scouts (that will be another post -- or several...)
8:30 take last wave of people to school
9:00 get Route 44 diet coke from Sonic with 99 cent sticker! (Necessity)
9:30 - 11:30 home. Give baby bottle that he can feed himself (yippee!) baby naps, mom piddles, does "admin" stuff.
11:30 - 12:30 pm Go to far away Wal-Mart because one by home is too gross. Hate Wal-Mart, swear (again) to never go there again. Buy baby formula, two pairs of shorts for boy who begs for this certain brand and will probably be ungrateful for them. Buy material to make adorable summer dresses/swim cover-ups for girls.
12:30 - 1:10 Shoe breaks while walking to car after Wal-Mart shop. (Still hate Wal-Mart) Refuse to go back to Wal-Mart for new shoes. See Kohls across the parking lot. Hate Kohls, but not as bad as Wal-Mart. Buy new sandals at Kohls.
1:10 - 1:30 go to Babies R Us because they are sure to have a baby gate that is wide enough to fill the opening I need blocked. Found one. Hope it works. Buy bottle and juice for very cranky, tired and getting sick baby. (Of coarse I didn't have a bottle in the diaper bag -- it's the fifth kid, I'm lucky I had the diaper bag!)
1:30 - 2:00 pick up first of people from school.
2:30 - 3:00 put away all purchases, give baby another bottle that he feeds himself.
3:00 pick up friends daughter from school to keep until the dad gets home (the mom is out of town).
3:30 pick up second group of my people from school
3:30 - 4:30 down time!!! Put baby down to try to take another nap -- doesn't really take. Coughing too much. Check email and Google reader, post comments, etc.
4:30 Get cranky baby out of bed. Pick up last group of my people from bus stop so that we can get ready and to Baseball practice.
5:15 go to baseball practice
5:30 park at ball field, let boys out to run to practice. Make all other children stay in car so I can move to a better, less crowded parking space. Car is completely DEAD.
5:30 - 6:20 Feed baby dinner in his stroller. Search and finally find someone with jumper cables. Cables don't start car. Call Roadside assistance. Try cables one more time for the heck of it. Car starts. Call Roadside assistance back to cancel service. Sit in running car until practice is over and friends dad picks her up (that part was pre-arranged).
6:45 pick up pizza for dinner -- send in boy with check so as to not shut off car. Love having older children.
6:45 - 7:00 drive home with white knuckles as dash board lights fade and dim and CD player stops working. Say continuous, silent prayer. Pull into driveway. Turn off car. Decide to start car again just to see. Car is completely DEAD. Say a prayer of thanks for getting us home.
7:00 - 8:00 shower and bathe all children, set up pizza and movie on blanket in play room. Feed baby final bottle. Baby is too tired and coughing too much to drink bottle. Put baby in bed. Go to get humidifier. Remember that I threw away the gross filter and meant to buy a new one. Leave kids to watch and eat while I run to corner drug store to get new filter. Love having older kids again. Remember car is dead in driveway. Go get neighbors car and get filter. Love awesome neighbors.
8:00 - 9:00 set up humidifier, clean up pizza party, put kids to bed. Rock coughing baby back to sleep. Clean up kitchen, put away left-overs.
9:00 - 10:45 Sit down at computer and do this. Eat snack sized milky way bar and drink diet coke that was purchased during corner drug store run.
11:00pm go to bed knowing that baby will wake up coughing at any time.

This day is not completely typical, but not too far off. "Stay-at-home mom" is a ridiculous term. I'm just saying.

7 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

Nic that was so brilliant! Your parting shot about a, "Stay at home mom being a ridiculous term. (Your'e) just saying." So, so true.


You are a rock star! You have always amazed me...now even more. I love that you are making cover ups for your girls. Rock on, Motha'!

As always I laugh at your witty writing style..."take second wave of people to school" In my minds eye you have a whistle and a crossing guard vest on to manage everything.

I commented on Celia's 2nd blog recently that...my first baby was rushed to the doctor every time he sniffled, I lightened up with my second child, and how my third would be better cared for if he were raised by wolves. You are doing a great job! So, you didn't have a diaper bag...I probalby would have forgotten the baby.


I LOVE YOU!

{krista} said...

That was great... so true about the "stay at home mom is a ridiculous term". Just too funny!!!

Jackie said...

Brilliant post. Full of energy and determination. I was totally lazy yesterday, even drove down the block to get arthritis medicine for my dog from a neighbor that has an arthritic dog so I could stay in ugly pajama's all day and not have to go to the vets office. I'm an underacheiver...sigh.

Denise said...

Oh yeah, it's a total oxymoron. And for all that, you don't even get a paycheck! I pay myself with stealthy visits to Barnes & Noble.

You hate Kohl's? I'm with you on the Walmart thing because, well, it's Walmart, one of Dante's circles, but Kohl's? Pure blasphemy.

Kelly said...

Holy Cow Nic! I started reading this morning but only got half way through before church. Now I'm just getting back to finish the rest of your day. I had no idea!

Poor baby, you and C. What's up with the car? All of that and you still arrange a pizza party in the play room. My kids would have been lucky to have dry cereal in a baggie.

Hope everything is perking up by now and your new week is homebound and sewing machine happy.

Blech to Kohls for sure, must be different in Denise's town. Waaaaaaaay different.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like my day. And I so love the stay at home mom comment. How true, it seems the older mine get the more I run them, waiting for one to be old enough to drive.

day dreamer said...

Can not stop laughing, sounds like a pretty typical day at my house. Dead car sounds recaently to familiar, mine happen two days ago in car line..hate that you know all those cars waiting behind you, and not just regular cars but expensive cars that NEVER break down...I still hate Walmart, it's on my top ten banned stores, yes i do find myself there on occassion but I HATE it and I try to stay focused, you know run it get what I need get out! Love ya man, you just say it like it is!! No stay at home mom in my house, just ask Willy he can never reach me on the home phone!