Friday, April 25

Adventures in Flying (or getting to the flight)



Geoff usually works in town or from home on Fridays. Today, however, he had to go to the East Coast for a meeting. (Really ridiculous actually, that he is traveling for something like 9 hours today, all for a 1 1/2 hour meeting. Whatever.) He should have gone straight from the West Coast to the East, but said he wanted to come home Thursday night because he didn't have enough clothes -- underclothes to be exact.... for one more day -- the trip came up during the week. Anyway, so he had to leave our house at about 5:15 am to get on a 6:40 flight -- he cuts it close. The airport is about 40 minutes from our house when traffic is good, which it would be at 5:30 in the morning. So, at 5:45 am my alarm went off for me to start my day and I notice that he is still in bed. "Didn't you have an early flight?" "I still do", he says as he turns into the Tasmanian Devil.


So I ask what I can do to help as he is throwing clothes on like in the movies (there is a Seinfeld episode about this -- there's a Seinfeld episode for every situation...). I say I will go out and warm the car up so the windows defog. So, I go outside and it's like 70 degrees. No need to warm the car. I guess for a second, I thought we lived somewhere where the weather fit the season. Silly me!

So, he gets out the door and peels out of the driveway and down the street. Meanwhile, I say a prayer that I will not become a widow this morning. Seriously, I started thinking about the movie "Premonition" with Sandra Bullock. I thought about making arrangements, calling the financial planner -- I mean getting one -- and all that stuff. My mind went crazy. Then at 6:33, the phone rang. I figured it was either Geoff or the Police. Thankfully, it was Geoff calling from the plane.

Okay, but think about it: He got out of bed at 5:45 and was on the plane at 6:33! I don't even want to think about all the traffic laws that were broken. That is a serious traveler. He said he was trying to stop sweating. His old college track experience came in handy, I'm sure.
I told him that I didn't care if he was late coming home, so don't rush it if the meeting goes late. I called to talk to him this afternoon, but he was driving and couldn't talk. Apparently it is illegal to talk on a cell phone in Connecticut. At least he is obeying the laws of the land again!


The best, most ironic part of all is that there was no time this morning for a shower and clean undies. Bwahhhahahaha!

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Really, think about it, finding tolls for the toll road, parking the car, taking his shoes off at security... He did remember his shoes didn't he?

I like you warming up the car for him. What a good wifey. You really jump in to action when the need arises.

Wonder if he'll just send his clothes out to the hotel laundry next time and stay put?

Jackie said...

Wonder how many pictures of him running red lights will show up in your mailbox with those steep fines attached?

I had a friend named Fauna, she got one of those..seriously the BEST picture she ever made!

That Hotel Laundry is looking pretty affordable.

Denise said...

Geez! You live 40 minutes away? I thought you must live on the freaking tarmac to make it to a flight that fast. Next time, give him a sample size of laundry detergent and tell him to wash his undies in the sink. That is, if he doesn't want the laundry service getting their paws on his unmentionables.

Oh, and your alarm goes off at 5:45? Like, on a regular basis? Honey, if the first number isn't a 7, I'm not budging! You must be one of those mutants that like mornings. My parents have that gene, too. I'm not sure how it skipped me so thoroughly.

Lauren in GA said...

Nic, I laughed heartily at how hilarioulsy you wrote this! The stuff about needing to even get a financial planner...figuring when the phone rang it was either Geoff...or the police!!!! I love your wit AND the great picture you used.

I also laughed (literally) out loud when I pictured Geoffy-Geoff turning into the Tasmanian Devil. I adore reading your blog! You are a true talent :)

And, sorry about the dirty undies...

I LOVE YOU!

{krista} said...

You get up at 5:45? Makes my 6:30 look nicer and nicer. And my kids leave at 7:20, so not far after you. Your husband is amazing! LOL Speed racer!!!

day dreamer said...

I am laughing so hard I have tears running down my face...nice!