Monday, January 28

Teen Leadership

Sometimes (read most of the time) the four kids are sitting at the table eating dinner together while I am either feeding the baby or fluttering around the kitchen or something. Always close by, but usually not sitting down with them -- especially when I am dieting and can't eat what they are.

So, the other day, they were eating and I was doing who-knows-what, and Eric was telling me something about what his Teen Leadership teacher had taught them today. I was hearing bits and pieces of what he was saying all while dishing up seconds, getting milk, holding a couple other conversations, etc. Then he says something about "not good parenting". (I will say here that the tone of our conversation was very light and comical among all parties.) So, I shushed everyone else and asked him to repeat what he had just said. He told me that the teacher said that whenever your child talks to you, you should stop what you are doing and look at the child and listen until the child is done talking. First I burst into laughter, then asked him which child I was supposed to listen to because they were all always talking at once and none of them ever stopped talking. He laughed. He's getting more and more 'quick' in the humor department.

I told him that if I stopped what I was doing and stood there whenever I one of my children was talking to me, they would very soon be hungry and naked children, because I would never get meals made, groceries bought, or LAUNDRY done. I told him his assignment from me was to ask said Teen Leadership teacher what her recommendation was for a parent of a few very talkative children whose dad works out of town during the week. He said he'd get back to me on that one...




I love this kid. Junior High is awesome. Teen-age years: Bring it on!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Holy Cow! When was the last time I saw Eric? He looks 6 feet tall in that picture. Look how his legs take over the whole shot! Except I do have to squint to tell if it is Eric or Logan and even then I'll just have to take your word for it.

I bet the Teen Leadership teacher doesn't have any kids at all. I bet she is all of 22.

Amanda D said...

I found you through Kelly A.

I love this story! I think that some of the best talking happens when you are doing other things. I think it makes everyone a little less uncomfortable because you are so focuses on one thing.

I'm curious what his teacher's response is! Be sure to share.

Lauren in GA said...

That was awesome, truly awesome! That's right sista' tell him like it is...everyone would be naked, starving and on the verge of death!

I agree with Kelly...Eric looks like a man!!!!

I am glad you are facing the teenage years with such resolve! You are my hero!