Thursday, January 17

Omelet in a Bag

A friend of mine sent me the recipe for these and we have come to L-O-V-E them, we eat them at least once a week. The instructions are very specific, so you have to do it exactly. I don't know what would happen if you didn't do it exactly, but I just do what I am told. Here it is:

Crack two eggs (not one or three -- two) into a QUART sized FREEZER bag. (Probably want to put every one's name on their bag first). Then add all your fixings for the kind of omelet you like.



Close the bag taking all the air out and mush it around so as to mix it all up.
Put the bags into a pot of boiling water (the water must be rolling) for exactly 13 minutes. (I don't ask why)



After 13 minutes, take the bags out of the pot, cut the top off of the bag, and onto your plate rolls a perfectly cooked, and perfectly formed omelet!





We love these because everyone gets to participate in making it (which is not something I do often -- bad mom) and everyone gets their eggs cooked exactly like they like them and all at the same time. Happinesssss! Ahhh, it's good.

11 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

These look great! We are definately going to try them! I am going to call them Nic Omelettes or better yet...Omelettes a la' Nic. I laughed at your saying that you, "just do what you are told" when preparing this recipe. We all know that I have to "be commanded in all things" recipe-wise, so this is a perfect recipe for me. I know what you mean about it being a good thing for kids to get to help...I always have to supress the urge to scream, "Back you people...BAAACCCCK" when I am trying to cook so that is great that my kids can help. I love you!

Kelly said...

I'm telling Mike about this. Hello Scout Camp!

Anonymous said...

My friend made these for the us when we were at the Beach last summer. They are awesome. Don't tell Kelly A. I know about these.
I have her convinced that my best dish is a bowl of Captain Crunch.

I'm glad you are blogging. I am going to stop by a lot!

Jackie M.

Lauren in GA said...

Hey Nic....do you add just a "dollop"(as my mom calls it) of milk to your bag? I was wondering if you add too much...if it will make a difference...You know I have to have exact directions...

nic said...

Just a dollop, La. These things are great!
Did I miss dinner?

Lucy said...

These seem freaky to me. Is that weird? I mean, I understand all food needs is heat to cook, but the bag and the water and the...the...bag...it just seems wrong somehow.

Nevertheless, I enjoy an omelet and am willing to give it a go. I will follow the instructions exactly because I'd be too scared to do anything but.

nic said...

I know they do seem weird at first. But I'm telling you Lucy, you will LOVE it. They taste just like a pan omelet and the convenience, and no one arguing.... all done at the same time. It's perfect. AND, I love it because I can NEVER get an omelet to look like an omelet. Go ahead, take the plunge! I was skeptical at first too....

Amber said...

I am going to have to try these. Thanks for the recipe!

RoRo2 said...

My husband loves to make these for camping trips. I clicked over here from Kelly's blog.

Barb said...

My kids would love that idea if they loved omlettes. Maybe this idea would make them want to give omlettes a second chance?

nic said...

One of my kids doesn't like omelets, so I just make it like scrambled eggs with maybe a bit of cheese in it then chop it up on her plate and walah! she has scrambled eggs.