Wednesday, January 23

Nostalgia

You know when you see a picture or think back to a time in life or a specific event, sometimes you can recall emotions or feelings? Sometimes a certain smell or sound will spark a memory like that as well...

So my best friend from High School, Connie, whom I am grateful to still be very close to, sent me a picture of her and I on her wedding day and it immediately brought back a rush of emotions and memories of that time in my life and that day in particular. Oh, what a fun time it was! I was 20 years old, and preparing to go in just a few months to serve a mission for my Church. I wasn't tied down to a relationship or dating anyone seriously enough to be burdened by all those good and/or weird emotions. It was just all about being fun and fancy free!

Connie and Rick chose to get married in Las Vegas with just a small group of family and close friends in attendance. I jumped into my Navy blue 1991 Mazda 626 and headed out to the desert. It was warm and sunny, not too hot, and perfect. I cranked up my Huey Lewis and the News (Sports) cassette tape and I was off! It was a quick trip from L.A. to Vegas - especially when you are singing duets with Huey! - so I got there in good time for the wedding. As I remember it, I arrived at Connie's hotel and greeted everyone. I changed into a suitable dress, touched up my blue eyeliner and shadow, sprayed some Aqua-net in my hair, put on some more hot pink lipstick - because it matched great with my turquoise dress - and we were off to get married!

Now, sorry Connie, but here is where my memory completely fails. Forgive me, but my theory is that every time you are pregnant and bear a child, you lose brain cells much like smoking marijuana (so I'm told). So my theory is that I have lost brain cells equivalent to about a decade of smoking pot. Anyway, I remember little about the ceremony and festivities, but I do remember posing for this picture and feeling very honored that I was there with my best friend for her special day. I also remember feeling like a million bucks. I really thought I looked great. Now, scroll down and you decide.....



Check out my hair!!! Is that the greatest 80's hair in the world or what??? I'm cracking myself up because I really did feel like I was so cute. I can't stop laughing...

Thanks for this trip down memory lane, Connie, and congratulations on 15+ years of marriage - that is a huge feat nowadays.

All I can say for myself is: Thank heaven for Bed Head products and the Chi straightening iron! Oh, oh, and learning about waxing eyebrows.

8 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

Take it from the Queen of 80's hair...You looked fabulous. That was beautifully written. I loved hearing about the eyeliner and lipstick and your hot Mazda! It took me back! Ah, Memories!

You are always in style. You were perfectly coiffed in the 90's and you are still today! I bow down to you, the Master of style!

Kind of funny...I posted last night (late) and my post talked about the memories that smells can evoke! We are still on the same wavelength. (mine, of course, is about poop...remember poopy water?)

Kelly said...

You are so hot! I love how pleased you were with yourself and your aqua net hair. You can see it in your face. But as far as an 80's bridesmaid goes, you are adorable!

And as long as we are talking 80's, how about the giant floral patterns on the wedding dress. Classic!

The thing is, I don't realize it isn't the 80's anymore. When teenagers mock 80's wear or talk about retro, I'm like 'Hey! It's my finest!"

How did we get so old? I was making fun of Mike's stupid stereo the other day saying 1984 called and it wants its speakers back. Mike got all offended "Those were purchased in 1997." Exactly! Over a decade ago, get rid of them!

nic said...

Lauren, I have been giggling about poopy water all morning! Every time I drive to the stake center, I pass that apartment complex and think about the grass that you murdered. Laughing still.....

Kelly, the 80's were the best. So the speakers were purchased in 1997. There is no way that was over 10 years ago. 1997 was just yesterday. I don't feel like I'm old. I feel like I've just lost track of time. Maybe I've been in a coma (still am most days!)

Lauren in GA said...

Nic!
Thank you for the hilarious comments on my blog. Perhaps, you are right...I should hire a babysitter! I burst out laughing at that!!!!!

I was trying to remember the specific details of the poopy water. If I am remembering correctly, I put it in an empty, decorative popcorn bin, didn't I? How on earth did I get it in the popcorn bin? Did I scoop the water up with the popcorn bin? I am laughing so hard as I type this, by the way.
I am so glad you remember me as you drive by the apartment complex where I destroyed the lawn with my poopy water. No wonder you wouldn't let me sit on your bed!

Kelly said...

I feel a little ill.

Lauren in GA said...

Sorry, Kelly! I just ooze charm don't I?

Amber said...

I feel like I'm missing out on a good story here. Poopy water huh?

I wish I'd learned about brow waxing before getting married- luckily my husband saw past my cave man eyes and saw potential.

Jackie said...

Love the hair & both dresses..somethings are just timeless.

I was always a Rave #3 girl. If I got into my 1982 Silver Landau Top Monte Carlo & my Hair did not reach the moon roof and get stuck to the glass..it was considered a bad hair day.

Scot & I went to a wedding at the Riviera once..long story..lets just say we got trambled by some elderly ladies that were yelling "Keno". ahhhhh, Good Times!