Monday, September 21

Childhood memories

I have fond memories of mom being home when I came home from school. Often, before I even crossed the street to our house, I could smell the goodness, and tell that mom had made bread that day. Oh, and it was such good bread. If we were in luck, she had just recently taken it out of the oven and it was piping hot and the butter would melt and drip from it while we ate. Other times, we'd enjoy a bowl of broken-up bread pieces with honey and a bit of milk for dinner -- because we wanted to, it was that good.

So, today. The last of the bread was used up in today's lunches. It was a rainy day, so I decided that I would make up a couple loafs of bread and we could use that so that I didn't have to go to the store. And who doesn't love home-baked bread!

I got out my handy red and white checked 'Better Homes' cookbook and all the ingredients and went to work.

Well, it takes a long time, bread does. And it's messy. And did I mention that it takes a long time? Nevertheless, I was enjoying feeling like a good, old-fashioned stay at home mom.

Well, I think my first clue was when there was dough stuck all over my hands, not clean hands kneading beautifully sculpted dough like in the picture in the Better Homes cookbook. My second clue was when I let it rise (just like I was instructed) in the oven, covered, with a pan of hot water sitting under it, for an hour, and it hadn't rised at all!

I went about following the instructions, because, come on, it's a loaf of bread, not brain surgery!, thinking surely it would all turn out in the end.

Here's the final product.

( That bottom one looks like a dog bone or something. I bet even a dog would turn away from this.)



(I wonder why Wonderbread never looks like this!)

.

.

.

.

It's not pretty. And it tastes just about as good as it looks.

It's in the trash. I'm going to the store. My talent is going to be appreciating "Mrs. Bairds" talent.

5 comments:

Denise said...

We used to have bread and milk with honey, too! With my mom's homemade bread. I hated it as a kid because ew, soggy bread, but the honey made it worth it. My dad LOVED having that for a summer evening meal.

So was this your first time ever making bread? Did your mom teach you when you were younger? Because bread is tricky. It takes practice and experience, and usually a little guidance, to get it right. So good on ya for giving it a whirl! It's not for the faint of heart.

P.S. My hands are never clean and supple, kneading a gleaming, smooth mound of dough. They lie! If you lived here, I'd invite you over for a Bread 101 class. =)

MomSchwartz said...

I believe bread making is an art form. It takes practice and I'm no good at it. My "homemade bread" was usually from a frozen dough. I admire your trying. Love ya.

Emily said...

Oh, honey, I'm going to solve ALL your problems. Unless, you botch this one too. . .

Lauren in GA said...

I know!!!! I (what a coincidence!! I tried to make bread this past week, too!!!)

Mine was, heavy, heavy, heavy and doughy in the middle. I hang my head in shame.

How did they master it?! I used Mike's Grandma's recipe...she would be so dismayed.

You are funny. Good job blogging about it with your perfect humor.

day dreamer said...

Oh, Nic! I am soooo proud that you even got off the couch and tried! Here is a hint: Keep a couple loaves of frozen dough in the freezer and then when the desire (necessity) hits again you'll be ready! Love ya, besides your kids don't need to take sandwiches to school, crackers and cheese, or peanut butter crakers, or open a can or something and put in in a thermos, my kids love taking spaghettio's....better luck next time, if there is next time!