Tuesday, September 1

Come with me back in time, won't you?

It's like the second half of August just disappeared. School happened and I was only somewhat coherent. So, we're just going to go back and pretend that I am documenting my sweet little girls first day of Kindergarten on, well, the first day of Kindergarten instead of now - the second week of school. Poor fourth child.

Samy was so excited to go to school. Secretly, I have been a little worried that she is going to come home some day and say that she doesn't like it any more, or is bored and doesn't want to go every day. So far, so good. Her teacher is a gem, and one of her best buddies, Ty, is in his class (thanks for letting me ride your coat tails, Emily!).

She put on her new clothes and her new pink tennies, packed her new backpack and lunch kit, and war raring to go. It's funny; she seems so big and grown up to me lots of times, but putting her in that school uniform and sending her to school made her seem really little. I'll get over it. Oh, I am over it!


By the end of the day, her new pink tennies had given her blisters on the heels of her feet, so she walked out of school on her tip toes. That's okay, she walks like that subconsciously anyway.

Geoff and I walked her into her class room. She went to her desk and waived good bye. We snapped a picture and took off. As we rushed down the hall and out of the school, Geoff said something like "can you tell we're fourth-time parents?" I said, yeah, with Christian, if I can't find a bus to put him on, I'll make him jump out as I slow down in front of the school." We're awesome like that.


I'm not totally unsentimental. I had to rush back out to the parking lot to get Logan and Maren, whose bus never showed up, and take them to their magnet program school a half hour away. We went home and got Christian, whom I had left with Eric (nice, babysitting on the morning of the first day of school - yee haw, 8th grade!) and loaded him in the car. Drove the kids to their school, now an hour late on their first day. Then Christian and I got to spend the rest of the morning at the School Admin office complaining about the lack of communication and lack of "courtesy" from the Transportation department. I won't go into any more detail. I've slept since then -- maybe it is better that I let time pass before posting. No one needed to hear my rant about this.




So, Eric didn't get a first day of school picture because for his first day he left on his own with a hearty "Have a great day. Lock the door behind you when you leave!" I love independent teens!

When Christian and I got home that morning and all the kids were gone, he would not come in the house. He stood out in the back yard (and it was hot!) for about 30 minutes babbling up a storm (still very few words from that boy!) and every now and then yelling for the "gys!". Then when I guess he'd figured out they weren't coming to his calls, he came in and stood at the bottom of the stairs and kept yelling "gys!" So dang cute!

School is good.

4 comments:

Burnhams said...

Poor christian! I dont know what Kaliya is going to do with Cardon gone 3 days a week!

Denise said...

Oh, so cute! Christian must be wondering where all his buddies disappeared to.

I get more and more lax with my kids, too. My oldest, poor kid, has really had to blaze the way and work hard to break the apron strings. The other kids, not so much.

Denise said...

I almost pulled my kids out of school so that I can have them babysit and entertain the little ones. :) Ashley and Josh were lost for a bit too. They're over it now. That was quick.

Lauren in GA said...

Oh, that little call of, "gys!" is so dang cute, I totally agree.

Your kids look so awesome. The uniforms are so cute. I know I am a geek but I like them.

Samy looks like such a big girl. I laughed at the fourth time parents thing...Christian will be fine as long as he hits the ground rolling when you make him jump out of the car.

Sorry about the dumb transportation stuff.