Wednesday, October 8

My plan for America


I have a lot of plans...
Lately, as probably many have, I've had discussions with friends of varying political stances. Some discussions have gotten quite heated, but I prefer the ones that are more of a conversation. In my mind, I think I am right and the "other" side is wrong, but I'm not trying to convince anyone or convert anyone to my side. Sometimes, depending on who I am having a conversation with, they ARE trying to convert me to their side. It's not going to happen! They are not going to change my mind any more than I am going to change their mind. I realize this, and it's okay.

Now, the best conversations we have had are the ones where we (both sides) agree that politics are too political. That we would love someone like Jimmy Stewart in "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington", where his political party doesn't matter, lobbyists and special interest groups don't matter, but what matters is the American people and the continual progress of this great country.

In watching the Presidential and Vice Presidential debates over the last few weeks, I've been annoyed that they are all the same rhetoric and political answers that are not really answering the questions that were put before them. It's just jabbing at the opponent and saying you are better. I want to know WHY you are better and WHY I should elect you to the highest office in this great country, and what you are going to do to make it better.

In last nights debate, the moderator asked the question something to the effect of: "What would you ask the American people to sacrifice because of this financial and economic crisis?" I can't recall exactly what the candidates answers were, but no one came right out and said anything that we are going to have to sacrifice. How could they? If one of them would have said: you need to donate and recycle tires, or you need to donate silk stockings like during World War II, that would have been the end of this election for the guy who suggested that. I think that we should, on our own accord, make some sacrifices. In short, we should follow the admonition of the prophet and prepare "every needful thing."

But here's what I would suggest. I would suggest that if you want something done, you have to start with yourself. Walk the walk before you talk the talk. They are talking about decreased spending in Washington. I suggest we start on Inauguration day. When the Obama's (it's going to be them -- I'm not a supporter, I'm just saying...) move into the White House, they are going to redecorate it. They are going to get new china and new furniture. There is going to be an inaugural ball. There will be gala's and parties of that nature. Why do we need this? Where is that money coming from? It's not going to be 10 trillion dollars (hopefully) but it is a significant amount of money. You need china and you don't like the design that Laura Bush chose? Then go to the archives and use the stuff that Jackie Kennedy picked out - she had good taste. You don't like the furniture? Deal with it! I need a new mattress and a new couch. Guess what, I've got to wait until I can afford it. You can too. How about taking the money that would be spent on a Ball or a Gala and give that directly to the homeless. Put it into natural disaster recovery. Put it into education.

Again, I know it wouldn't be 10 trillion dollars and cover the national debt, but the point is that it would be a statement. It would be a great statement. It would tell the American people that they are in touch with what we are going through and that if we are having to make cuts and sacrifice, they will too.

5 comments:

Denise said...

I bow at your feet. Amen. BTW, I love that pic; the colors are glorious! If you took it, then kudos on your photography skills. And if you pulled it off the net, then kudos on your good taste!

P.S. If it's the Obamas (yes, I'm still using "if", because hope springs eternal) then I'm sending all my accounts offshore. Think the Cayman Islands will let me set up a checking account with a $20 deposit?

Lauren in GA said...

Such a great post. I am too stupid to understand politics, but I understood what you had to say here and I agree.

I cannot believe our national debt is so big. It scares me what may happen.

{krista} said...

My sister is going to the Inaguration and Inagural ball (really, she's freaking out over the fact that "black tie" does not mean the same thing as "sunday dress"), I tell her to be sure and pull Michelle (though I may be dreaming otherwise) aside and tell her your plans for America. Although, they'd never happen because they simply make too much sense and government never makes any sense!

Burnhams said...

you should send that to obama, after all he was way outspoken against AIG's spending all that money at the retreat after we bailed them out, so he should know that buying new china and having a big party would be the SAMETHING

Kelly said...

Linnens N Things is going out of business and everything is 30% off. Maybe Obama can get a deal? Then would it be ok to upgrade?

Or, maybe you could hook him up with some of those glass dessert plates you bought for a party recently. Cause I guess there are some times when buying new dishes is ok?