Thursday, September 11

The Verdict

We're staying. Throughout last night and into this morning, I was still going back and forth as to whether or not to leave. I've prayed and thought and watched news and thought and prayed some more. Then the Houston Mayor (Bill White) and County Judge (Ed Emmett) conducted a press conference this morning wherein they told us the zip codes that were mandatory evacuation areas - mine NOT included - and said that everyone else should "shelter in place" (unless, of coarse your place is like a mobile home!). So, we're obeying/trusting our local leaders and "hunkering down" as they said.

I'm not really that concerned. I feel like we are going to be just fine. And hey, if it does turn real bad and we are put in danger, then I am totally going to blame Bill and Ed! Ike is gigantic, and we will get a lot of wind and rain. I've put all of the patio/outside 'stuff' into the garage, so there are no foreseeable projectiles. Plus, at this point now, if we felt that we should leave, the possibility/probability of getting stranded on the freeway parking lots would be worse than if we stayed at home.

As for today, the laundry show must go on! We are actually enjoying beautiful weather - the calm before the storm? - and are celebrating Awesome Neighbor Mary's birthday. Tomorrow, we will watch TV and play Wii at Awesome Neighbors until the power goes out. From then on, the plan is to have a massive Mexican Train Domino's tournament (via candle light?).



We've got water, food, birthday cake, and good company. It's fine.

And again, if it's not; It's you Mayor Bill and Judge Ed!


8 comments:

Burnhams said...

Have fun and hope you stay safe

Connie said...

I was just on weather.com and he is headed for you guys. Please be safe and keep us updated.

day dreamer said...

Alright Nicole, I asked you yesterday, and I have harrassed you today, but know our prayers are with you for your safety and that being in close quarters with bare essentials and five kidos doesn't put anyone over the edge. Love to you all!

Lauren in GA said...

Well...I trust your decision...Bill and Ed will have to answer to the likes of me if anything happens.

I want some birthday cake ;)

Jane Blackmun said...

Good luck with it all. We'll be thinking about you and praying for you! Love ya!

Lauren in GA said...

I guess you won't have internet for days...I hope you are all okay...I am going to try to call..

Kelly said...

Mayor White 2012!

Denise said...

I hope you came through it okay. I haven't seen an update, but I've been gone all weekend. I'll keep checking back.