Wednesday, March 25

Spring has been Breaked!

For spring break, we first took care of our spring cleaning on Monday, then spent the rest of the week playing way too many video games and doing things close to home.

Our most fun adventure of the week was going to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. This is the biggest rodeo in the world. It is huge. It happens every year and lasts a month.

We have lived in Houston for 14 years and have never been to the rodeo. I have now repented.

I have to say, my excuse is as follows:

When we first moved to Houston, we lived right down the street from the famous Astrodome. This is the complex that is transformed into cowboy heaven for a month each year. Our first year here, we walked out of our apartment and down the street to go check it out. Upon entering the gates, there was a crush of people you could barely move at a snails pace to get to anything or anywhere. There was felt hats, giant belt buckles and boots everywhere you turned. It was awful. We turned around and went home, never to return, we decided. It just wasn't our thing.

Everyone I know, raves about the rodeo. I hate crowds and the memory of our first visit kept me away these 14 years.

So this year, wanting some spring break fun, I "cowboyed up" and loaded the minivan and headed out. What a great time we had! We are totally making this a yearly event for our family!

I have to say, that we are total "city folk" though. We're not much for animals. The kids pretty much think we don't have a dog (or a cat, or any pet) because I have allergies. I do have allergies. Seasonal. Due to the weather. But all they need to know is that I have allergies. Needless to say, we are not very well versed in the life of animals. For instance, we were walking through the livestock "area" and as soon as we walked in the building, Samy immediately put her hand to her nose and said: "WHAT is that SMELL?!?" Um, poop. So then we walked down an aisle with cattle on either side. It was a somewhat narrow aisle. A girl pulled her cow(?)/bull(?) out in front to go have it judged, and was walking down the aisle in front of us. The animal dumped four big cow patties right in our walk way and stopped Maren in her tracks. "WHAT is THAT?!?", she asked. Um, poop.

So, yeah, we're not really animal people. But regardless, had a wonderful time and look forward to doing it year after year.
















The End.

5 comments:

Denise said...

So you're telling me you've gone through a passel of kids and the accompanying diapers and potty training, and they didn't recognize the smell of manure? Oh, you are a much better mother than I. My house has smelled like a rodeo for the past 14 years.

On the bright side, now that M is potty trained, the poop smell has gone down significantly. I wish I could say it was completely gone, but somehow my children still can't seem to get the wiping thing down. TMI?

Burnhams said...

how fun! So what about the start of birthday season? I see someone got a new camera, or you found your other one!

Lauren in GA said...

I am laughing about Maren asking about the stench and horiffic sight of cow patties. You said it best, "Um, poop." is right. Well said!

I love the pictures! Maren's pink cowgirl hat is PERFECT! They all look so cute...and happy!

I remember when I was on my mission there how the Rodeo was a big, huge deal. As huge as a cow patty.

{krista} said...

I haven't been to a rodeo since I was a kid. LOVED them! We'd definitely recognize the smell of poop anywhere, but that happens when you live in a make believe rodeo all the time!

Denise said...

I am so proud of you for taking your kids to the rodeo! yeah for you guys! The one year I don't take my kids to the day events and now I'm feeling like I missed something see them all happy there. What an adorable family you have. I love Christian's lips they are kissy lips so watch out for the ladies because there coming for your boys! :)