Monday, November 17

It's good to be free

It took a whole weekend and two different borrowed cars and a lot of car seat swapping, but my car is finally legal.

I took it into the auto shop on Friday to have them figure out why the engine light was on. I dropped it off at 2:30 pm. At 9 am on Saturday, I called to see what was going on. "Oh, didn't my assistant call you?" Um, no. They were waiting for a part to arrive. The EGR something-or-other. I asked if this had any connection to the THOUSAND dollars that I just put into fixing the car on the 2nd of October. "No, this is different from any of that that was done. Let's see," he said, "yep, you're right about at the mileage when the EGR goes out." Of coarse I am.

So, another $200 and my engine light was off so I could take it for the state inspection. So, by the time we were able to pick the car up, it was almost 10 pm on Saturday (it didn't take that long to fix, we just couldn't get down there! They locked the keys in the car to wait for us.)

Sunday, I drove carefully to and from church, avoiding any highways where Highway Patrolman Lightfoot might be lurking. Then hid the car again in the garage until this morning when I was able to get to Jiffy Lube and take care of it.

I pulled into Jiffy Lube and asked the guy if he could inspect my car. Nope. "We've only been open for three weeks and haven't set up our machine for inspections yet." Um, you may want to get on that! So I carefully drove down the street to the next random auto place because now I was desperate.

So after wrestling with Christian in a greasy, stinky, dirty floored auto shop waiting room for 45 minutes, my car was legal! Hip, hip, hooray!

To celebrate, Samy got a happy meal with a Madagascar toy and I got.... the engine light on again!

I can't even talk about it....

8 comments:

{krista} said...

OMG! Yeah, I can see why you can't even talk about it! Sorry!

Anonymous said...

Oh. You have to call that place back. I think that even beats our check engine light story.

Jackie said...

I am reminded of the time I couldn't get my car to pass inspection because the horn wouldn't work..and the spedometer quit working. No garage coud figure it out. I had to keep changing the fuses then the horn & speedometer worked for a little while..guess what it was?! A penny had lodged in the lighter & when I hit a bump..it would cause the fuses to blow.

Sigh..I feel your pain.

day dreamer said...

LOL...at least it waited til the inspection was complete. FYI lots of good geals out there right now with 0% interest...they might even give you a little for your car...sigh!I feel 4 u...

Burnhams said...

when you spend as much or more per month fixing your car as you would on a car payment, its time for a new one :)

Lauren in GA said...

Oh, for pity sake. I am so sorry, Nic. All of that and then to end up wrestling with the adorable Christian...trying to save his very life from the germs on that floor...and then that blasted check engine light came on...cruel and unusual punishment.

Lauren in GA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lauren in GA said...

You know...Mike's car always has that, ,blasted check engine light on. When he took the car in they said nothing was wrong with the car but they would have to order a part to fix the car so the check engine light wouldn't be lit up. To fix it would cost several hundred dollars. So...we opted for him to drive around with the light on. Maybe your engine is okay but your light is busted?

Just trying to help. I love you ♥