Tuesday, December 16

Little things here and there

My favorite line from one of the kids on Sunday.


I will not name the child, in order to protect their identity and spare said child humiliation. But you need to keep in mind that this conversation was on SUNDAY:


Child: Is there a clean clothes basket in your room for me?
Me: No. What are you looking for?
Child: Underwear.
Me: Are you telling me you don't have one single pair of underwear in your drawers?
Child: Only ones that I don't like. But if figured when I put these on Thursday, that there would be more clean ones by today.
Me: Oh hell no. (Yes, it was Sunday morning before church. I have since repented.) You did not tell me that you have been wearing the same underwear since Thursday....


Then child walked away as I told them that they would in fact wear a pair from their drawer whether they liked it or not because at least they were clean and hadn't been worn for three days straight.


Do you see what I'm dealing with here?!


Can you guess who it is? Probably not your first guess.



Here's another one:


Every so often Maren will get into the car with me and say:


"I don't know why, but I really want to drive the car. And I already know so much, I know I could do it! I know how to turn the volume up and where to put the CD's..."


Maybe she just needs a boom box in her bed room.

For the record, she also knows what the "tickers" (turn signals - we called them 'blinkers' growing up!) are for and how to use them.



And one more thing...


Fourteen years ago today at 2 o'clock pacific time, Geoff and I were married for eternity in the Los Angeles Temple. How can 14 years seem to speed by so quickly, yet it feel like he and I have been together forever? It's a weird phenomenon.


This guy drives me completely bonkers and at times makes me so mad I could spit, but I adore him more than I did even at 2 o'clock fourteen years ago this day. He always says that he is grateful that I put up with him, but secretly (if you're reading this Geoff, I said secretly, so you have to fake like you never saw this...) I really have it dang good. Great actually!


Funny story about how he and I met:


Lauren and I were mission companions in Texas. She was set to go back to her home in Virginia a year before me. So, on P-day's,(she would only talk about "non-mission" stuff on our day off.), she would tell me about this Geoff guy who was the only eligible bachelor in her small Virginia town and she was going to marry him. I said; "Enjoy that last name for eternity!"


Lauren went home, Geoff was away for the summer. Lauren met and fell in love with Geoff's best friend and room mate, Mike. After I completed my mission service, I went to Lauren and Mike's wedding where I was the maid of honor and Geoff was the best man. It was a complete set up and worked like a charm. Nice match-making skillz, Lauren!


Now I am "enjoying" this last name for eternity. And loving every minute of it!


I love you Geoffrey. To a million more 14 years...



Halloween 2007

Driving to San Antonio - 2005

8 comments:

Kelly said...

I thought I knew who the underwearer was by the self entitled "I figured you'd have done your job by now" attitude at the beginning of the conversation. But then when you said wore the same underwear since Thursday, I got all confused. Until you said probably not my first guess...now I'm going with, Christian?

I drive like Maren. Also, we called blinkers "Dinkos" when I was a kid because the clicking sound it made sounded like "Din Ko, Din Ko". Remember when blinkers made clicking sounds?

Happy Anniversary! Why was Geoff so ba humbug that halloween though? He could have at least put worn a costume!

Burnhams said...

happy 14th!

Connie said...

Happy anniversary! I can't believe it has been 14 years.

Denise said...

Happy happy anniversary! you would not believe the kind of extended wear my kids' undies can get. I don't get it. Who doesn't want clean underwear? Ewww.

Lauren in GA said...

I am sobbing right now...you know I am. I love you both so much!! What great pictures of the two of you! You look awesome rockin' that side pony there, Nic! Geoffy geoff makes a great Napoleon (how does one spell that?).

This post made me laugh till I cried (the underwear and driving skills Maren has already acquired) was the laughing till I cried part...and the marriage part just made me cry with joy.

Hey...were you making fun of me that I would only discussn "non-mission" stuff on P-day. I am going to go cry in my closet ;)

Lauren in GA said...

I just cracked up at Kelly saying that Geoff could have worn a costume in the Halloween picture!!

And...who is taking the picture in the driving to San Antonio photo. You didn't make one of the kids take it from the hood while driving did you?

Again...

You both look great in that picture!

{krista} said...

Happy Anniversary!!! Love the kid stories...

Jackie said...

I'm guessing one of the girls..because a boy would be obvious.
The Halloween picture is AWESOME..where are your arms and Geoff's hands?
Your backstory is sweet...Happy Anniversary!